Sunday 31 January 2010

FYI

An old hill farmer trudges several miles through freezing snow to his local and very remote church for Sunday mass. No-one else is there, aside from the priest."I'm not sure it's worth proceeding with the mass - might we do better to go back to our warm homes and some soup?.." asks the priest, inviting a mutually helpful reaction from his audience of one.

"Well, I'm just a simple farmer," says the old man, "But when I go to feed my herd, and if only one beast turns up, I sure don't leave it hungry."

So the clergyman, feeling somewhat ashamed, delivers his service - all the bells and whistles, hymns and prayers, lasting a good couple of hours - finishing proudly with the fresh observation that no matter how small the need, our duty remains. And he thanks the old farmer for the lesson he has learned."Was that okay?" asks the clergyman, as the two set off home.

"Well I'm just a simple farmer," says the old crofter, "But when I go to feed my herd, and if only one beast turns up, I sure don't force it to eat what I brought for the whole herd..."

No comments:

Post a Comment